Folk of the earth, halflings are slightly shorter than Dwarves but not nearly as stocky. Their males tend toward 3’1” tall and 85lb in weight. Their females are usually 2 inches shorter and 10 pounds lighter.
Halflings have golden or brown hair that comes either in curls or waves. Males grow beards only after having reached an advanced age, and even then the beards are thin and curly.
Because they spend so much of their time digging in the earth, one would expect halflings to often be dirty and clothed in drab colors. This is the case for males, but not for females who are the peacocks of their society. Halfling females tend toward bright colors and natural jewelry. Wood, vines, stones and bones are the primary materials for halfling accessories. Bracelets and belts are the favorite types of jewelry, as are things that can clack together. Worked metal is used to hold things together, and is viewed as unrefined and inharmonious when worn for the sake of the metal. Gemstones and rare woods are used instead to display wealth.
Halfling customs dictate the dead to be buried in cemeteries, rather than in crypts or burned on pyres.
From 2e Player's Handbook
- Movement 6
- Every 3-½ points of Constitution score, the character gains a +1 bonus on saving throws vs. wands, staves, rods, and spells.
- Halflings have a similar resistance to poisons of all sorts, so they gain a Constitution bonus identical to that for saving throws vs. magical attacks when they make saving throws vs. poison
- +1 bonus to their attack rolls when using thrown weapons and slings.
- A halfling can gain a bonus to surprise opponents, but only if the halfling is not in metal armor. Even then, the halfling must either be alone, or with a party comprised only of halflings or elves, or 90 feet or more away from his party to gain this bonus. If they fulfil any of these conditions, he causes a -4 penalty to opponents' surprise rolls. If a door or other screen must be opened, this penalty is reduced to -2.
- Ability Score Requirements: Str 7/18*, Dex 7/18, Con 10/18, Int 6/18, Wis 3/17, Cha 3/18
- Racial Ability Score Adjustments: +1 Dex, –1 Str
- Class Restrctions: Cleric, Fighter, Thief, or Fighter/Thief.
* Halfling fighters cannot possess exceptional Strength scores.
- 15% chance to have 60' infravision
- If the 60' infravision roll fails, then have 25% chance to have 30' infravision
- If a Halfing has any infravision, when the character is concentrating on the desired information to the exclusion of all else can find out:
- If a passage is an up or down grade with 75% accuracy (roll a 1, 2, or 3 on 1d4).
- Determine the direction half the time (roll a 1, 2, or 3 on 1d6).